Thursday 25 October 2018

Tutorial 25.10.18

This week's tutorial forced me to answer questions about my practical piece. My initial vague plan was to write some kind of monologue.

What is the context of the monologue? As in, who is the character and what has led them to express themselves as they do?

I was made very aware that nothing on-screen exists by itself. There are a plethora of elements that support it such as staging, cinematography, lighting, character design, the order of the scenes, etc.

I cannot write a meaningful monologue without considering these elements. However, I cannot weigh up the importance of every cinematic technique in relation to monologues because it would take forever. I must strip down as much as possible, focussing on the monologue, while acknowledging these cinematic techniques.

I will write an introductory inner monologue that establishes a character. I will employ a simple character design, one that is more physically expressive than realistic and technical. This will allow me to invest my energy into working out the voice and physicality and not get too bogged down with technical stuff.

 I still must consider the setting, as that will influence the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment