Monday 29 October 2018

Finding Primary Sources

I contacted Daniel Lundh who directed "People in Cars", a short that consists entirely of intimate conversations in cars. It's perfect for my research as it's incredibly simple and places great emphasis on complicated characters.


People in Cars (2017)
The questions I'll ask are along these lines:

What informed your own writing style?

How do you avoid writing clichéd characters?

What techniques do you make sure you always employ to give a character depth?

How do you know when to use dialogue and when to exclude it?

His response was really informative. It taught me plenty about how I should approach writing this monologue. Naturalism and believability are key and he encourages his actors to improvise, as long as they touch on certain plot developments.

"During improvisation I tell the actors to go from A to B to C, following the storyline but using their own words... their focus is on getting from A to B to C, and so their acting somehow becomes more natural and relaxed"

-Excerpt from Daniel Lundh's e-mail

I could either write quite naturalistic dialogue or I could make it a lot more extreme and exaggerated. I feel that both approaches have their upsides.

No comments:

Post a Comment