Wednesday 17 October 2018

Tutorial 17.10.18 and research

I've streamlined my concept further, deciding now to focus exclusively on monologues. I can also look to musicals, as the emotionally charged songs are essentially monologues that reveal the content of a character and their motivations.

I showed a draft introduction and was told to shorten my sentences and apply correct grammar and sentence structure to make it more readable, but I have a solid concept to expand on which is good!

My tutorial offered useful insight on how I can relate this topic back to animation specifically. I went and watched 'Negative Space', 'I am Tom Moody' and 'Creature Comforts' which all address monologues differently.


Negative Space (2017)
I Am Tom Moody (2012)
I enjoyed 'I am Tom Moody' for the two inner monologues battling it out inside the protagonist's head, each with different memories of the character's past that influence the way he is now. By confronting the trains of thought, Tom Moody discovers his true self and shuts out the noise.
Creature Comforts (2003)
Shot like a documentary, the monologues in these short clips are banal and conversational rather than dramatic and filled with complex revelations but the character is derived from how the characters wax nonchalantly about the mundane. Plenty is revealed from their tone of voice.

I would love to write and animate two types of monologue for my practical. One will be an inner monologue and the other will be an address to a crowd. I want to experiment with how it feels different to write each one.

Tchaikovsky: An Elegy (2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment