Monday 3 April 2017

Peer Review Session - Pitching Our Image Sequences (OUAN401)



It was handy to pitch my concept for an image sequence to a couple of peers and I got some cool feedback and useful questions. For instance, while the colour scheme of the characters works well, my backgrounds are really sparse and I should think about what I want to do with backgrounds and what the significance of them should be.

I got good feedback about the subtext of the storyboard. The battling apes, constantly locked in a power struggle, represent how societies cycle round in constant revolution, where the revolutionaries overthrow the government, become the government, and are overthrown again by more revolutionaries. Then the cycle repeats infinitely. It's INEVITABLE. I was told that the apes were a fun way to convey a more serious subject matter.

Unrelated to this (but still part of the same session), my tutor gave me great inspiration for my visual journal by talking about how large MASSIVE companies like McDonalds or Coca Cola dominate our lives without us knowing it by purchasing smaller companies. For instance, like, if I didn't want to buy a Coca Cola product because Coca Cola killed my family or something, I might instead buy a bottle of DASANI water. But then SOCIETY would tell me that I'm danged outta luck because DASANI is owned by Coca Cola. So how can anyone be an ethical consumer without spending inordinate amounts of money on an artisanal soft drink brewed by hippies or something? It's hard, man!

That's how big companies control the world. anyway.

It fits in well with the theme that the elite in society dictate how society thinks. He recommended that I check out Naomi Walker's book "No Logo" for ideas, which was useful.

Knowing what I now know I'll continue to develop my concept. I'm pleased with how well my initial draft was received, although I would've appreciated a little more constructive criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment