Monday 10 April 2017

Explaining The Meaning Of My 12 Frame Proposal (OUAN401)

I am basing my pitch on the Albie Sachs quote that “All revolutions are impossible until they happen, then they become inevitable” because I like the idea that revolution is destined to happen at some point, as history has proved. This sort of contradicts the Marx quote I'm studying that talks about the upper echelons of society dictating how everything works. It offers an alternate perspective that says "ACTUALLY, Karl Marx, the people will only be controlled so much before revolution happens."


I was inspired by (STOLE) the plot of "Animal Farm", the MOTION PICTURE. Specifically the part where the revolution happens but then at the end another revolution happens because the revolutionaries from the first revolution just ended up becoming an oppressive government like the one they overthrew in the first revolution. It made me think that this is just the way that society works. There is always going to be another revolution eventually because there will always be a group in society who are the scrappy underdogs. I manifested this concept in my 12 frame pitch by having the two apes locked in eternal battle, changing colours to represent the balance of power shifting forever.








Red = The working class
Blue = The ruling class

I chose those colours because that's what they mean on the French flag




In the peer review discussion, someone asked "why apes?" and I was like "why don't you MIND YOUR OWN F**KING BUSINESS". At first, I just used apes because cartoon apes would be a lighthearted, funny way to convey my theme. Apes are funny, right?


Look at this adorable little scamp

But having said that, the primal, no holds barred nature of the ape represents how humanity works at it's CORE, stripped of sophistication and social constructs, which I can relate back to my theme. The reaction of the ape to being provoked by that little blue spear thing is a great way of conveying how revolution stirs amongst the disadvantaged of society, only this is much more literal and simple. It's a very simple representation of revolution.





The small chimp was red in my first draft, but I made it black. While the larger apes represent the people; the underclasses and the elite classes, the small black ape represents religion. Religion is a constant, unchanging presence in society no matter who is in power.

I got the idea to do this from Animal Farm THE MOTION PICTURE again. In that film/ booook, Moses the black crow represents religion and is a constant neutral presence. I wanted to add that kind of depth to my storyboard.

To quote Paul Garfunkel in that song "The Times They Are A Changing", "The Times They Are A Changing".

No comments:

Post a Comment