Tuesday 25 April 2017

Naomi Klein - No Logo (OUAN401)

At the recommendation of my tutor, I checked out Naomi Klein's book "No Logo". It seemed to be a really great setting off point for studying how massive corporations dominate the planet, being an international bestseller and seemingly the manifesto for any critics of unfettered capitalism.

I read parts of it, and it was incredibly insightful and unpatronising! I especially liked the way that she documented the historical rise of brands and how in the 1980's marketers changed their approach from targeting the baby boomers to targeting the youth demographic.

It's a tad outdated, being initially published in 1999, but its message is timeless

She makes excellent points on the destructiveness of corporations that are simply machines programmed to make money at any cost to people and the environment. I know it's hardly an original point of view, but it inspired me to draw large, looming, faceless ghouls to represent shadowy corporations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment